HRA - maybe stop some spammers...

Cal

HRA - maybe stop some spammers...

Post by Cal » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:38 am

Hi HRA,

Maybe would help a bit. Set post limits on sections in the forum/ maybe up to 5 or 10 posts in most sections if not all. That will stop a lot of the first posters posting a spam note.

What other member would comment ?? Good idea or other easy way to slow this spamming ??

Cal

HRA v3
Site Admin

Re: HRA - maybe stop some spammers...

Post by HRA v3 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:18 am

It only take me few clicks to delete spam posts.
But if I set a post limit, person who newly joined the community who has a question will need to make few random posts first.
In my opinion this could lead more unnecessary posts.

Anyway lets hear what others have to say about this.
Thanks

a1pilot

Post by a1pilot » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:10 am

Perhaps delegate some authority to moderators who can clear spam too.

Depending on the join rate and if there are volunteers, maybe approved sign-up to delay the process a bit and maybe catch some obvious ones?

Maybe a quicker method of reporting spam (icon in the list?) which suspends a thread if there are several reports?

I think the best thing to do is engage more people to act as moderators for you.

Cal

Post by Cal » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:15 am

I agree with a1pilot's post - but understand that HRA may be wise in staying independent with 'family' members, or very close friends, letting too many "know" all about your methods can be very unwise.
No hassle on my part about spam, except one that I received in a email from a 1 post spammer, and only in Russian. Only one like this I've received as a advertisement for a sale on this site. No problem in deleting and no repeats...nothing malware inside the letter. But it was nothing but a direct spam email, and was not invited. I can work on that in the CP.

kapawayna

Post by kapawayna » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:43 am

I can honestly say I haven’t had no problem with spam at all. I use HRA for all my tv shows that I watch and never received any emails or anything like that from him or pretending to be him. If you are getting them maybe you should be looking at have you picked something up from another site that has access to your contact list and just using his site because it’s known

Cal

Post by Cal » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:59 am

Maybe the sig we use at other sites to try and promote HRA's site is gathering some unwanted kiddies/trouble makers? Just best to ignore them and kill their so called 'fun'. :mrgreen:

hellswarrior

Post by hellswarrior » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:50 am

HRA v3 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:18 am
Anyway lets hear what others have to say about this.
Thanks
It doesnt seem to be a major issue at the moment. Just a few spam posts here and there, if it was a real gut ache keeping up with large amounts of them i could see taking steps attempting to control them. Some good suggestions have already been made and could be useful if things worsen. :)

sbubba

Post by sbubba » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:13 pm

The beauty of this site is how simplistic and straight forward hra has made it. There is zero drama, and very little spam. No moderators or further posting restrictions are needed. I haven't checked but most boards like this allow you block all pms except those that come from administrators. Any larger boards I have ever used I turn that on. As far as the very few spam comments in the general chat section here go I have only ever seen 2 and they were gone the next day so this is not an issue.

Scre5m

Post by Scre5m » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Then I suggest only pink users and donators can become moderators.
Normal users like myself that have not donated. Should not have access to moderation.
If there are gonna be moderators. I suggest only pink donators can apply as the pink ones are the more serious ones.
But honestly. Only the ones HRA trust should be moderators. And someone who are willing to sacrifice their free time.

I don't wanna apply for moderation. Just saying hehe :)

a1pilot

Post by a1pilot » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:06 am

sbubba wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:13 pm
The beauty of this site is how simplistic and straight forward hra has made it. There is zero drama, and very little spam. No moderators or further posting restrictions are needed. I haven't checked but most boards like this allow you block all pms except those that come from administrators. Any larger boards I have ever used I turn that on. As far as the very few spam comments in the general chat section here go I have only ever seen 2 and they were gone the next day so this is not an issue.
General Chat (the only place we can post) has been filled several times with spam. I'm talking completely loaded with rubbish.

It's not so much that it lasts long or causes problems, but that it takes time and effort to clear. There are a few of us who report it once we see it. I think it's more about removing the need for HRA to deal with it, and instead letting someone else deal with that problem so he can focus on the important things. I'm sure you can designate a moderator such that they only have control in the one sub-forum to limit the risk.

I'm not aware of PM spam. Maybe I've been lucky.

I personally think that a simple step, such as a waiting period after registration, or better still a "first thread approval" type setup would be enough of a hurdle to stop the majority.