Hollywood 30 company anti pirate alliance

Scre5m

Hollywood 30 company anti pirate alliance

Post by Scre5m » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:20 pm

30 Hollywood movie companies just created an alliance to hunt pirates world wide.

Code: Select all

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/entertainment-studios-piracy-lawsuits-1202463987/

ifmu

Re: Hollywood 30 company anti pirate alliance

Post by ifmu » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 am

it seems that netflix (among others) have brought the cost down and net speeds have increased ... i may sign up for netflix ..

a1pilot

Post by a1pilot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:48 am

I'm all for paying for a streaming service, but so long as each company insists on creating their own (I'm looking at Disney), it's never going to work.

Scre5m

Post by Scre5m » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:14 pm

a1pilot wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:48 am
I'm all for paying for a streaming service, but so long as each company insists on creating their own (I'm looking at Disney), it's never going to work.
You know you can download rented movies and tv shows with internet download manager on netflix and Youtube. So when your subscription ends. You still have access to the content on your hard drive.

a1pilot

Post by a1pilot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Scre5m wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:14 pm
a1pilot wrote:
You know you can download rented movies and tv shows with internet download manager on netflix and Youtube. So when your subscription ends. You still have access to the content on your hard drive.
Yeah, I've done similar before. Even paid for an IDM license (not afraid of legit).

What I meant was I don't want to pay 20 different companies their own subscription to access their content. I'll happily pay to have access to a single / double point (and I do mean pay a decent amount), but so long as they are going down the road of multiple subscriptions to have a bit I like here and another bit I like there, it's not going to fly for me. Especially when the subscriptions remain or increase in price, but you get less and less as each company removes their content.

That's before you even get to the whole "not available in your country" nonsense and varying release dates.

I use Spotify. Has 99% of what I want, in a single place, for a reasonable price (would even pay a bit more for it). Works for music, why not film?

dman925

Post by dman925 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Good luck to them, I doubt they will put a significant dent in piracy. Sure they might shut down a site or 2 (depending on their location), but most uploaders and site managers are smart. The most they can do is submit copyright issues to hosting sites (as they've always done). Especially since a lot of the major torrent/direct download sites are located/hosted in countries with very, very very lenient piracy laws.

Scre5m

Post by Scre5m » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 pm

a1pilot wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm
Scre5m wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:14 pm
a1pilot wrote:
Yeah, I've done similar before. Even paid for an IDM license (not afraid of legit).

What I meant was I don't want to pay 20 different companies their own subscription to access their content. I'll happily pay to have access to a single / double point (and I do mean pay a decent amount), but so long as they are going down the road of multiple subscriptions to have a bit I like here and another bit I like there, it's not going to fly for me. Especially when the subscriptions remain or increase in price, but you get less and less as each company removes their content.

That's before you even get to the whole "not available in your country" nonsense and varying release dates.

I use Spotify. Has 99% of what I want, in a single place, for a reasonable price (would even pay a bit more for it). Works for music, why not film?
Totally agree with you. Its like comparing Xbox and Playstation.
If you want to play Uncharted then you must subscribe to playstation.
If you want to play Gears of Wars then you must subscribe to Xbox.

The TV Shows Exclusivity is super heavy in the television business.
And now Disney is launching their own streaming web page and pulling out their movies and tv shows from Netflix. So if you want to watch Star Wars. You must subscribe to Disney. If you want to watch Daredevil you must subscribe to Netflix.

But on the flipcoin. The reason is because of competition. Without competition there would be only 1 web page where is every thing is gathered.

Warez-bb
Hralinks
Pc-Games
Horriblesubs

If warez is down. I just use the competitors webpage. In my opinion HRAlinks is competing against warez-bb and so does many other web pages. And Warez-bb does not allow members webpages on their forum. Because competition is a threat to warez-bb. Posting links to HRALINKS would get you a warning or at worst. A ban because HRALINKS is competitor to warez-bb.

I would say survival of the pirates and warez relies on competition. Without competition there is only one big giant warez web page. Once that giant goes down. Every thing is lost. Our survival as pirates relies on competition. Just as Chinese economy relies on the competition of Russia, Europe and United States. Without competition China would become a third world country. Thanks to competition China is becoming first world country. Every thing we do in our daily life. We need competition to evolve and survive.
Just imagine a world without competition. Warez-bb goes down and there is no competition to Warez such as HRALINKS. What do we then? Don't say we create a new web page because competition does not exist. What we do if warez-bb shuts down and competition does not exist? The government has won then. The victory of government relies on that we do not compete against each other. If we compete against each other then citizens win. If we stop competing then government wins.

Remember when China no longer had competition in Asia? They got beaten by United Stated and The British empire because they stopped making new technologies. If China had competition then that would have never happened. China would have never lost the Opium war and so on. China lost against every body in the modern age because they stopped competing. Stopping competing means you stops making new products. If you do not make new products you cannot evolve. China made this mistake once. China lost against Japan and Russia. China says we will never lose again. In 2017 China competes against every body to evolve. China lost against the British empire. China lost against the Japanese. China lost because they stop competing and this was their downfall.

Antique Europe (China Powerful because they had competition)
Middle Age Europe (China Powerful because of competition)
Enlightenment Age Europe ( China most powerful nation in the world)
Industrial Revolution (China weak because they had no enemies. Which means no competition)

I have to say. Japan, USA, Russia and Britain destroyed China during the age of industrial. China just got destroyed because of zero competition. Well its cool to see that China will not make the same mistake twice. So this means as survival for pirates. We must have competition to survive.

Press F5. I just updated my answer :D

a1pilot

Post by a1pilot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 am

Completely agree competition is needed. The problem is that they're not competing, and in fact are stopping competition.

Disney pulls Star Wars from everywhere except their own service - there is absolutely no way to compete with this (excluding piracy). They stop competition.

I'd rather it was an independent or third party streaming service which provided access to the content (effectively what Netflix originally was). Then there is no conflict of interest in terms of their own shows versus other companies.

Unfortunately it's all about money. Instead of them all taking a share of a pot and giving users an amazing experience, they want their own pot which has less money but it's theirs, and want to do as little as possible with the most restrictions applied (think Virgin Media in the UK - they are the only cable provider, so they don't bother, leaving users with poor user interface).

On the Warez-BB front. It actually worries me that there is only one large place for everything. Hence my other thread asking for a list of alternatives.

a1pilot

Post by a1pilot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 am

dman925 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:47 pm
Good luck to them, I doubt they will put a significant dent in piracy. Sure they might shut down a site or 2 (depending on their location), but most uploaders and site managers are smart. The most they can do is submit copyright issues to hosting sites (as they've always done). Especially since a lot of the major torrent/direct download sites are located/hosted in countries with very, very very lenient piracy laws.
I remember reading a news article about a study that was conducted on piracy. It was highlighting the flaw in "Hollywood thinking".

Essentially it was that the claims of "piracy costs X billion per year" are nonsense. The reason being it assumes everyone who pirates material would purchase it if piracy wasn't an option. The reality was a large percentage only pirated because it was free (barring minor costs for certain services, such as Uploaded, etc.) and easy to do. Were this not the case, a lot of materials wouldn't be pirated with only the "must have" items being ripped off.

Basically, stopping piracy doesn't increase revenue for companies. Will try and find the article again as it was an interesting read.

Imagine if a service such as Netflix had Game of Thrones, on the release date, simultaneously around the world - their systems would be swamped. If you want to cut piracy, offer a reasonably priced service that isn't country specific. I pay per month for Rapidgator and I'd happily transfer that cost over to a legit service.

Scre5m

Post by Scre5m » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:52 pm

I don't think people would buy it anyway. Most of the pirates are from India, Russia, China, Vietnam, South America. There are many poor people in these nations.

The problem with Hollywood way of thinking. Piracy is a global issue and not just an American issue.